Summer break is over the halfway point and odds are you parents out there are probably hearing the most dreaded phrase in parenting besides “I’m quitting college to play in my friend’s band”, which is…”I’m BORED”.
Here are my top 5 family activities in Santa Clarita this weekend:
Placerita Nature Center
1) If your kids are like mine, I spend most of my weekends trying to find ways to tire them out so they won’t go all Tasmanian Devil in my house. Good news for you if you have the same issue, this Saturday August 2nd there is a free Family Nature Walk at the Placerita Canyon Natural Area starting at 11 am. It’s short and easy for the whole family.
Following at 1, they will present a an animal show featuring the area’s native wild animals. These are all open to the public and are great for getting your kids a little runaround time and then- sneak attack-get them to learn something! Visit placerita.org to get the scoop on this weekly event. I can’t promise you that your kids will be tired after that, but it’s a good start!
Home Depot Workshops
2) We all know a trip to Home Depot can result in a, well, “spending situation”. But how would you feel if I told you there was something fun and free for your kids to do in all that air-conditioned glory? Well this Saturday, August 2nd, from 9 am to 12 noon you can take your 5-12 year olds to your closest Home Depot for a free build of a mini-crate pencil holder! They will be instructed on the build, provided with the supplies, and taught tool safety.
On top of all of that they get to keep their creation. Click here to register and make sure there’s enough supplies for everyone. Best part? IT’S FREE!! But the same can’t be said for what YOU might buy at the store while you are there. So if you want to keep it cheap, look down at the floor and don’t wander the aisles. Breathe, you can do this.
Related: Things To Do In Santa Clarita
Shrek The Musical – Canyon Theatre Guild
3) You’ve seen all the kids movies. Twice. And you have probably seen Shrek at least (and I am not exaggerating here) seven thousand times. But you probably haven’t see Shrek the Musical, and it will get your kids interested in the theatre in a way that’s fun for both of you.
The Canyon Theatre Guild is presenting the show on Saturdays at 8pm and Sundays at 2pm August 2nd through the 24th at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at the College of the Canyons. Tickets are as low as $12 and you can call 799-2702 for tickets. Go! You will be as happy as Pharrell that you did.
Santa Clarita Aquatic Center
4) It’s HOT out there! If you don’t have a pool of your own or just want a change of scene you can go to the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center. Dive and Water slide pools are open 12-5 every day and it’s $6 for adults, $4 for kids, and free for 2 and under. Water slides, water features, diving pools, and splashy fun-what’s not to love?
Get there as early as you can to beat the crowds, and don’t let your potential water-sliders wear bathing suits with metal rivets on the pockets. Nothing turns a fun event uglier than a kid not being allowed on a water-slide because of their fashion choices. Nothing.
Lazy Day at the House
5) Feeling lazy today? Sometimes the best activities are just hanging around the house with your kids doing something simple. Here’s an idea: take used pieces of paper, crumple them up, and use tape to fashion a ball. Try to keep it in the air from person to person by whacking it with your hand. Good news, if it gets loose in the house odds are low of breaking something. But don’t quote me on that…
You can always get more Santa Clarita kids activities by following me on Facebook at SCV Buzz or on Twitter @nickerberger. I’ll be back next week with more of the SCV Buzz!